Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Defeat with a capital "D," Kensington style

I've never been mugged or assaulted in Philadelphia, so what better time than now (figuratively of course). How? It's pretty humiliating so I say this is a step backwards in not embarrassing myself in a cross race. Oh the urban jungle, littered with natural(?) barriers and obstructions, it practically screams cyclocross. On my third or fourth lap of the course, I decided to just casually pop on over the barrier before the road section. This was doable, because I've done it the previous lap. My racing brain has a pretty narrow thought process: Engine, on. Gears... engaged. Mach speed. Brake. Hop... and before I knew it I flew over my handle bars onto the concrete. This time my fall was broken by my elbows, shins, and shoulder. I slammed into the edge, got back up, "I'm fine, thanks... No I'm okay, thanks..." and hobbled over to the pit area. When I got there, everybody with their "flat?" (lots of flats) Me with my, "Nah, I tried to go over that barrier and endoed into the concrete. It was cute." That got a laugh, so for about 20 seconds I was part of the group. I hobbled over to my corner and spoke to nobody the rest of the night. Need to work on socialization/not being awkward skills.  

I hated myself for not completing the race. I was doing very well for myself, increasing the lead between me and the pack behind me. At least I wasn't alone. Many many (I'd say of the 35 or so riders, about 15 finished? Flats, falls, all that jazz.) For now, I'll just ice and clean the bleeding parts and hope for a speedy recovery. I'll also need to fix my bike. Brake hoods are all sorts of out of place.

All in all a very fun training race. Only about four blocks from my place? Ouch though, ouch.

Happy Birthday barcode. If it wasn't for you, grocery shopping would be awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment