Sunday, October 4, 2009

Hillbilly Hustle v.4


Thanks to some friendly motorcyclists (no potentially violent Warlock encounters this time) I made it home okay. My race was at 9 AM, so I got there at around 7:45. There was an insane amount of fog on the way over, and after just recently having seen The Mist, I was incredibly frightened. Anyway, being the third person in the check-in line, I thought I was all good to ride. I needed a one day USAC license, which caused some trouble since being the third person in line meant helping the people working the booth figure everything out. I managed to get in two warm up laps before it was time to race. While lined up, I realized I forgot to add air into my tires and before I knew it the whistle sounded. I'm off and didn't get too great of a position (not that I would have won or anything if I had) so I fought my way up. Between me passing some people and other people passing me I managed 51/78. Cornering wasn't as much of a problem today as my lack of sheer strength. A lot more training to do.

I stayed to watch all the rest of the races (with the help of Yard's contribution). Favorites were Men's collegiate and the A-race at the end. Once I got in my car to head home, I found out my battery had died. Once I was on my way back, my phone (AKA navigation system) died. It was okay because I knew my way back. That is until there was an accident that called for the closing of two roads. That's where the non-gang-related motorcyclists came in and saved the day.

Although in my eight hours I spoke with practically nobody, I still managed to have a great time and enjoy the races. Can't wait to see all the crazy talent at the Wissahickon race in a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment